Title: Data Scientist
Location: London, United Kingdom
Start date: ASAP
The Climate TRACE coalition is building a tool that will use artificial intelligence, satellite image processing, machine learning, and other remote sensing technologies to monitor worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. The coalition aims to track human-caused emissions to specific sources in real time—independently and publicly. The Climate TRACE coalition is made up of nonprofits CarbonPlan, Carbon Tracker, Earthrise Alliance, Hudson Carbon, OceanMind, Rocky Mountain Institute, and WattTime; tech companies Blue Sky Analytics and Hypervine; as well as climate leader and former U.S. Vice President Al Gore.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our project for the estimation of CO2 emissions from global power generation, researching and building models that combine multiple data sources to understand power plant behaviour.
Role and responsibilities
- Develop, productionise and maintain models that estimate heavy industry carbon emissions that are built on cutting-edge AI principles, such as deep neural networks, to understand a combination of inputs including: satellite imagery, atmospheric chemistry, and facility technologies and operations.
- Collaborate and solve problems with a diverse team of research analysts, data scientists and project managers from Climate TRACE coalition members.
- Execute sound judgement and critical thinking.
- Input into reports and presentations to disseminate model outputs.
- Work with project partners and team members to achieve project and company objectives.
- Numerical degree in computer science, physics, engineering, statistics or data science.
- 1-3 years of credible industry or academic experience in computer vision, machine learning or data science, including software development.
- Strong programming experience in Python. Ideally with hands-on experience in pandas, tensorflow and scikit-learn.
- Experience building machine learning models, including convolutional neural networks.
- Highly desirable: Prior experience in energy finance and/or power generation. Experience with satellite data.
- Highly motivated, self-starter, driven to grow the role and company.
- Methodical with a high attention to detail.
- Team player, organised, meticulous, high integrity.
- Passion for the energy sector and climate change.
- Desire to learn new skills and collaborate with others.
- A passion and commitment to use AI to make the world a better place.
- Competitive salary, performance bonus and pension.
- Five weeks paid time off.
- Quarterly team offsites.
- Work every day to help make the world a better place.
- Please email your CV along with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The role will remain open until a suitable applicant is found.